If your kitchen cabinets require an upgrade, however you don’t intend to spend the cash to change them, paint is a terrific option. This Do It Yourself project will certainly offer your kitchen the facelift you’re trying to find at a fraction of the expense.
Prep Your Cabinets for Painting
To make certain specialist top quality results, you’ll need to place some infiltrate prepping your cabinets prior to they’re ready for a layer of paint.
- Clear out your cabinets and countertops. Cover your kitchen counters, backsplash, and also devices with a drop cloth or rosin paper.
- Tag all doors. You could do this with covering up tape or write directly on the door in a low-profile place. This will certainly make your life a lot easier when it’s time to re-hang them.
- Eliminate all equipment. If you’re going to recycle your current equipment, position the pieces in a plastic baggie as well as stick it in the equivalent cabinet. By doing this, you won’t need to play a guessing video game when you’re re-assembling your cabinets later.
- Scrub away the oil. Kitchen cabinets naturally accumulate grease, food bits, as well as dust. You want to get every one of that off before you start painting. Utilize a remedy of one component trisodium phosphate and four components water to efficiently cleanse your doors and cabinet boxes.
- Carefully sand the cabinets with 100 grit sandpaper to ensure the paint will stick. You do not should sand to bare wood. Completely vacuum any sanding dirt as well as clean with a cloth to ensure you’re left with a clean surface.
- Use a coat of primer. Primarying your cabinets will certainly guarantee a smooth, expert appearance when all is stated and done. If you want to speed up the procedure, choose a fast-drying primer.
Now that your cabinets are prepped, it’s time for the enjoyable component– applying fresh paint!
- Pick your paint kind. Oil-based paint was when the criterion for kitchen cabinets, however water-based paints have come a lengthy means. They’re much easier to work with and just as resilient. A preferred among specialists is Benjamin Moore Breakthrough Satin End Up, which you could get for about $56 a gallon.
- Paint with a tiny roller. A paintbrush will leave stroke marks in your surface, while a roller will apply the paint efficiently. However, it’s a smart idea to have a tilted brush handy to get right into any type of edges a roller cannot reach.
- Start with the door’s edges and also make your method to the front face of the cabinet. Use your paint in slim, light layers, while still covering the entire surface. Go slow-moving and steady to avoid air bubbles.
- Gently re-sand between coats. Wait at least 4 hours for your very first layer of paint to dry, and then gently re-sand the surface area so your second coat has something to hold. Clean away all fining sand dust with a tack towel.
- Paint your second coat. When utilizing high-grade paint, two coats is usually all it takes. Nevertheless, you might consider doing a 3rd layer if your cabinets have the tendency to take a beating during everyday use. Be sure to gently re-sand again before you use a 3rd coat.
Reinstall your cabinets and equipment once every little thing is completely dry and also you’re happy with the finish.
While the steps above overview one of the most common means to paint your cabinets, you could also make use of spray paint. You’ll still need to follow the preparation work steps to clean, sand, and prime your cabinets initially. You can, nevertheless, utilize a spray guide rather than rolling it on.
- Take your doors outside or to a well-ventilated area. Spray paint is unpleasant and releases fumes right into the air, so make sure to protect on your own and any type of objects you don’t desire covered in paint.
- Beginning spraying, holding the could 8 to 10 inches away. Move in long, light strokes, up and down as well as to and fro for an even, expert appearance. Use a couple of thin, light layers for the best outcomes.
- Seal the job. Spray your repainted cabinets with a sealant to safeguard them from basic damage. This step will certainly maintain your newly painted cabinets resembling brand-new for longer.
Picking the Do It Yourself route for painting your kitchen cabinets will save you a great deal of loan. The ordinary price of employing a specialist for this work is around $1,000. As you can theorize from the considerable prep job that goes into this project, most of that price is for labor. While taking on this job on your own will certainly cost you time, you can expect to invest concerning $105 on materials. That’s a savings of $895!
If you have perseverance and a free weekend, painting your kitchen cabinets is the best Do It Yourself task to improve your house.
Painting Kitchen Cabinet Ideas